As I've considered what I would write over the past couple of days I got to thinking about why I homeschool, what I like about homeschooling and how life has changed in the past while.
Why do we homeschool?
1. Both Hubby and I knew before we had children that homeschooling was very much an option for us. He knew people who homeschooled, me I was just intrigued by it.
2. I worked in town at a location that hired a lot of students. I was quite frankly appalled at the attitudes these children had (if it's okay for the person who did something it was okay even if they broke the law) and the lack of knowledge/ability to complete tasks well (no math skills, spelling skills was atrocious) so it was like WHY would I want any child of mine to go to the local schools?
3. God. I want my child to know about God and his importance in life and I didn't want to ship him off to a school 1/2 hour away in good weather.
4. I wanted the flexibility. To be able to sleep in if we needed to, to take off and go exploring if we wanted to, to learn all sorts of neat and interesting things JUST BECAUSE.
What do I like about homeschooling?
2. flexibility is GOLDEN. My how I have learned this. We can be doing science at 7 a.m. in the morning, or doing a history lesson at 6 p.m. We can go for walks, drives, the library or whatever. We can do library schooling, park schooling, car schooling, home learning and it all works. A change in venue can be a LOVELY thing to do.
3. FIELD trips. Need I really say more?
4. New people in my life. I cannot say how much I enjoy the new people in my life that homeschooling has brought about. It's lovely. :)
5. I'm venturing into new fields of creating my own work. Hoping to start selling it too. :)
How has life changed?
Homeschooling has allowed me the flexibility of sleeping in when I need to. Delaying the start to a day if I need to.
My health struggles have forced me to become a bit more organized in life. I used to have a basic plan about what I was doing and then put it together as the day went on, but now I plan the week out the Saturday or Sunday before. This way everything is together and right at our finger tips. I've learned that my son LIKES knowing what we are doing and when we are done. :) It's really easy to tell when we are done too. (all pages are turned over and all books are closed). It's given us more free time as well (which he loves.. more playing for him, a cleaner house for me).