- If You Were Me and Lived in...Ancient Greece (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 1)
- If You Were Me and Lived in... Elizabethan England (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 3)
- If You Were Me and Lived in...the Middle Ages (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 6)
- If You Were Me and Lived in...the American West (Volume 7)
My son and I like to read books at night before he heads to bed. Currently a lot of the books we are reading right now are history books. As soon as my lad saw these, he asked if we could start reading them, so we added them to our stash. He was very eager to get started with them as he’s enjoyed another series from Carole which we reviewed here and here. I consider that a sign of a well loved book when a lad remembers reading them three years after the fact. :) Though I have to admit, the lad has read ahead rather than wait for me to read the next section, he then proceeded to tell me what I missed...he likes them THAT MUCH. :) It's a good thing.
It's wonderful to read a cultural book and then have a boy say "Mom, correct me if I am wrong, but salt was considered to be really valuable right?" with my affirmation, go on to tell me they should it have used it to buy and sell things as not only was it useful, but everybody wanted it. Or when he learned about the bathroom shute into the moat! Oh my... that provoked a grin and a "MOM, they should have put piranha's in the moat instead!!!"
As these books are part of a larger series, it is good to note how they are similar and yet different. :)
How they are the same:
- For each two page spread, there was a paired reading page with a full page, full colour illustration to match it.
- A listing of famous people of the age, sometimes with pics, sometimes without.
- A well written glossary
- Important words are phonetically spelled
- The reader is brought into the life of a middle to upper class family, and walked through life with them.
- They are all history books that focus on the culture of the time, written for children at a level they can easily understand.
- Each presents history in a storybook fashion.
Of the four books I received, two different illustrators, each with their own style. Mateyna Arkova illustrates in a water colour type style, and Paula Tabor with a full colour illustration.
This is the book my son most wanted to read. Knights, castles, feudalism, etc. He knows ALOT about this time period.
This book provoked the most discussion and comments from him. From the need to keep piranhas in a moat (instead of letting your bathroom waste go there) to the usefulness of salt and it's desirability as a sale item.
Longest book at 97 pages.
The others in the series are:
- If You Were Me and Lived in...Renaissance Italy (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 2)
- If You Were Me and Lived in...Colonial America (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time) (Volume 4)
- If You Were Me and Lived in...Ancient China: The Han Dynasty
- If You Were Me and Lived in...Viking Europe
Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5854108.Carole_P_Roman
Hashtags: #hsreviews #childrenshistory #historystorybooks #culturalstudies
SEO: Cultural books, history books, children's history, children's education