So what did my son encounter as he worked through Stinky Kid.
1. Ease of Use; It's easy to find what you want. Lessons are easy to locate with big buttons. Those big buttons further break down into small buttons or into video clips.
For instance, when reviewing long division (which face it, is brand new to my boy and he STRUGGLED with the video). We opened up the workbook and suddenly it made sense! DMSB (divide, multiply, subtract and bring down). It made more sense to me! My son had an insight... if I learn my math (aka addition, subtraction and multiplication) better I can do division better right mom?
Yes, I smiled at him. (Why do these lessons sometimes work better when self taught)?
4. Flexibility. You can do the lessons in whatever order you wish, so if you have a student that merely needs to brush up on a given area, you can go right to that section. My son is fairly new at learning about algebra so he started at step one.
They do give you a list of the videos in their suggested order for those who find that helpful, but lessons and worksheets and workbooks can be done in whatever order you wish or ignored completely.
5. Games. My attention to detail boy couldn't handle different elements of the games so he simply didn't play them. I happened to like the games for the most part. What I liked with the games was this: they allowed you to play a game as you practiced math facts, they told you when an error was made, and I found most of them to be fun.
- areas such as order of operations, long division, exponents, multiples,fractions, notation etc.
- lines, linear systems, polynomials etc.
- 3-d and 2-d
My 10 year old son learned. He now understand long division! :)
They provide good instruction in a variety of formats.
It is a great online program that tutors students well.
My son LIKES this program. If a student likes it, they'll be more inclined to work with it. It's taught him important lessons about listening, paying attention, asking questions and back tracking.
Received: Six month membership for up to three children
Vendor: Stinky Kid Math
Product: Stinky Kid Math Lessons, can use the whole site.
Price: $9.99 per month. You can have a one month free trial.
Stinky Kid Math is not a complete curriculum, You could turn it into one if you desired with some judicious planning and use of other materials. It's primary role is that of a tutor or supplement to aid students in gaining a solid understanding of algebraic and geometric math. Quoted from Stinky Kid Math: The site is more of a help for parents and students. It will act as a full curriculum, but is not certified as one. There are also a few small gaps with the current common core standards.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) or above
- Mozilla Firefox 2 or above
- Apple Safari 2 or above
- Google Chrome 2 or above
- Flash Player 9 or above
If you want to know more about how Stinky Kid Math works, please check out their facts page.