George Washington: True Patriot - I received this as an ebook, read on my tablet.
George Washington: True Patriot Unit Study Curriculum Guide (parts one and two) - these I received in PDF form.
Price: George Washington: True Patriot sells for $6.99 for both the paperback or electronic version. The George Washington: True Patriot Unit Study Curriculum Guide sells for $7.49.
Reading age: 10+
Listening to understand read aloud age, I would put at 6+ years.
The Activities were as follows
1. Key quotes. These are excellent to use for memorization or copywork.
2. Display Corner - this seemed group oriented.
3. Chapter questions, each chapter had four questions
- A Vocabulary question—one word from the text (with a reference to which page it could be found). After defining the word, Fritz had to use it in a sentence of his own.
- A Factual Question –this was a short “who” or “what” answer
- A Comprehension Question – these were longer “why” and “how” questions, but the Fritz could infer the answer from the text.
- An Open-Ended Question – Fritz had to supply his own opinion and give evidence from the text to support it.
- Essay Questions.
- Creative Writing.
- Hands-on Projects.
- Audio/Visual Projects.
- Arts and Crafts.
5. Social Studies. This area was divided into five categories
- Geographical Characteristics.
- Conceptual Questions.
7. Culminating Event. The authors suggest making a final day for this study, whether that be throwing a tea party or serving food common to the time or even having a period dress up day. Find some way to finish off the study with a bang. I could see this working really well with a larger group of students.
An extensive bibliography is provided, as are answers to the chapter questions.
How we Used this unit study.
For the activities we did the chapter question, did some copywork, looked at some maps of early USA history, took a walk imagining what it would be like to be a surveyor.. having to chop down trees, needing to camp out in the woods in all sorts of weather. It's good to spur on a lad's imagination. After taking that walk, you could really see this book coming out in his play.
Indeed I would. Excellent well written materials.
I have to admit, that the learning can be done without the learning guides. BUT the learning guides add DEPTH to the study. Going for a walk and talking about surveying... I would not have thought about doing that... or seeing how it captured my lad's interest. :) I very much appreciated that. :)