We received a goodie bag, had a chance to browse, I got interested in a set of books which I'd love to do wit the lad but this year just aren't in the works for us to do. (they aren't cheap either). I bought two magazines. $5 total spent there.
After a time to browse they had the learning time. The lad and I went to the children's area, hubby went to the adult's area. We all had an enjoyable time.
Anyways, as you can see from the picture, the children's time was with a physicist lady who was there with her son. She did a number of different experiments with the children. She had them help occasionally. She moved along fairly quickly, but showed children the fun of doing science.
I took some notes on the cell phone as we went along
- Testable provable repeatable
- Inertia: glass water cloth pull
- Loop? Covius loop? - she took a twisted piece of paper and cut it. in one it made two connected loops, in another it made two loops knotted together. I didn't really have a chance to see how she made the original loop as I was sitting all the way in the back.
- Potato...knitting needle or straw? which goes through?
- Soap....ivory soap - put in microwave, see what happens.
- Blowing ping pong ball funnel. Plywood paper won't move ball and blow between what happens? Bernouli's principle..air pressure
- Vinegar. Water. Baking soda. Cap rockets. Can try with lemon juice as well. Never thought to try lemon juice....not as strong.
- Water bag and sharp objects no leaking...the polymers in the plastic are made to close. this has been used for aircraft gas tanks.
- Alive..biology fun...physics smelly....chemistry
- Pen super ball bounce
- Water boil 100 C boil in paper cup with candle
- Weight in can moves up a hill....this would be fun to try.
- Coloured water. Lit candle. Candle sitting in coloured water. Upside down jar level rises.
- Fire sieve put out flame
- Gas from coke can put out fire
- Straw burning fire falls
- Coke fizz mentoes
I recognize the list might not make a lot of sense to folks. But it gives me ideas about things to do with the lad and then to give the science behind it. :)