- 1 (12 ounce) package dry black beans, soaked overnight I used two cans of black beans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped Didn't have, didn't use.
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks used one big one, precooked.
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 1/2 pound thickly sliced bacon, diced used pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional) Used dried parsley
- added some mixed spice herbs for different flavour
- also used chicken broth
1. In a crock pot place, diced onion and black beans. Add the minced garlic.
2. Remove meat from ham hock, removing as much fat as possible. Add to crock pot, dice the ham, add to crock pot as well.
3. cover the crock pot mix with chicken broth, adding the bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper.
4. Let cook for two hours.
5. Add pancetta, diced in small pieces as it's quite salty.
6. taste test the sauce, realize something more is needed, add a red pepper mixed spice and go MMMM... :)
7. Let cook for another 2.5 hours.
8. Realize the liquid has not cooked down, so remove liquid, put into a pot and thicken with some flour. Put back in crock pot and call it good.
8. Cook some rice on the side (I made four cups of cooked rice).
I liked it.
My student did his slow smile and had seconds.
Hubby liked the flavour, but I missed some fat and he said "I can't do this".
Son didn't want it, but tried when I said you must, liked it until like his dad he got a bite of fat and said "I can't do this".
Student made himself another bowl for supper. :)