Last night, as part of our Drawing Around Europe Study we made food from Sweden. My son was VERY enthusiastic about our meal.
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with margarine.
- Fill 2/3 of the pan with sliced apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup sugar with the melted margarine. Stir in pecans, flour, egg and salt. Mix well. Spread mixture over the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 65 minutes, or until golden brown. In MY oven, 55 minutes is all that is needed.
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
- Put sliced cucumbers into a bowl.
- Stir vinegar, sugar, water, and salt together in a separate bowl to dissolve the sugar and salt; pour over the cucumbers. Sprinkle parsley over the cucumbers.
- Refrigerate cucumbers 3 hours to overnight.
The recipe I used needed some tweaking but turned out well none-the-less and will be part of our meal for our potluck thanksgiving meal at my mom's. :)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced onion - double this
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 pound ground beef - I didn't use beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork - use 1.5 lbs of pork
- 2 teaspoons salt - Don't need this much
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon white sugar
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan over low heat; cook and stir onion in melted butter until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix bread crumbs, water, and half-and-half in a large bowl; let stand for about 2 minutes. Stir cooked onion, ground beef, ground pork, salt, white pepper, and sugar into bread crumb mixture until thoroughly mixed. Shape mixture into about 48 very small meatballs.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet; add meatballs. Brown slowly, allowing about 25 minutes, until meatballs are fully cooked in the middle and no longer pink. Shake pan occasionally to cook evenly.