As I hesitate saying "Well... I don't know, you need to do your science and math too."
My boy beseechingly adds "BUT MOM.. I LIKE Veritas Press. It's funny and I like it mom. PLEASE.....".
What can I say, doing this review for Veritas Press has been a huge hit! :)
We have covered thus far:
- St Augustine Coverts to Christianity
- Barbarian Invasion and Vikings
- St. Jerome completes the Vulgate
- My son loves it
- Short, easy to understand segments.
- Frequent testing of knowledge.
- Easy repeatable.
- No teacher planning required (unless you want to go out and get books from the library)
- Review throughout the lessons.
The concerns I have
- Starting off with a test that my son basically failed almost put us off the program all together. "MOM! I don't know any of this stuff! Mom! It thinks I'm stupid now!!! Mom. I can't do this. I can't". (complete with tears).
- My son cannot, as of yet, do Veritas Press independently. Some of this is focus-related, and some of it is, he simply can't read well enough yet. This is not completely a bad thing... as now I am learning a lot of history that I didn't know. :)
- The song is very long. I personally don't have an issue with this as I like singing along with it, but my lad is getting tired of it's length. I just tell him it's great review of what he's learned and of what is coming up and keep singing along and before long he's trying to sing with me.
- MAPS. I want maps on flashcards (so does my son). He wants to be able to look them up and see where these places are instead of having to try to memorize them after one or two views during the lesson. Too many places to remember he says. Having a map would be an aid to his memory (and mine).
- The word scrambles... making them so they weren't timed would be a huge benefit. They caused too much struggle and I found them difficult (much less an eight year old).
Product: One year of the Veritas Press: Self Paced History.
My son chose to do Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation
With these we received: Middle Ages, Ren & Ref Flashcards
Price: $199.00 for the course, flashcards are $19.95
Age Range: Grades 2nd-6th. They recommend minimum age of 7 on the first day of class.
There are a number of other programs being reviewed as well, other self-paced history courses, which include
- Old Testament and Ancient Egypt
- New Testament, Greece, and Rome
- Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation
- Explorers to 1815
- 1815 to Present
Veritas Press can be found in a variety of mediums.
Facebook. Twitter. Pinterest. and Google+.
They would be delighted if you would check them out! :)