So I'm looking for things that are homeschool related to do with the lad.
Things I'm considering
1. the bluewater bridge.
Despite the in your face warning not to copy pics from this site, they have good pics of the bridge going up. :)
Wiki tells me this about the history
The original span is a cantilever truss bridge with a total length of 6,178 feet (1,883 m) and a main span of 871 feet (265 m). The second, newer span is a continuous tied-arch bridge with a total length of 6,109 feet (1,862 m) and a main span of 922 feet (281 m). ....
The first bridge was opened to traffic on October 10, 1938. .....
The second three-lane bridge, just south of the first bridge, opened on July 22, 1997.
2. the Stones 'N Bones museum.
this sounds like an interesting museum to go to with plenty of things to talk with a lad about.
Do you have any other suggestions of things we might consider?
I posted the question of what to do in Sarnia and got these responses:
1. Stones n Bones museum is worth a look, especially if you are able to catch Jim there to give you a tour. He knows EVERYTHING about everything they have on display. http://www.stonesnbones.ca/ Its located in a store front downtown and doesnt look like a real museum from the outside, but has a pretty impressive collection once you get in. The price is right too! Make sure you take them 'under the bridge" for fries. The fries are decent, but eating them on a bench overlooking the river and the USA makes them very pleasant. If a cargo ship goes under the bridge, which happens at regular intervals, get the kids to pump their arms and if the captain sees them, he'll blow the foghorn. If you've never really seen it, take a drive south on hwy 40 and check out the chemical valley. Its one thing to know its there, but quite another to see the magnitude of operations that spans the length of the St Clair river. Pay special attention as you go over the overpass on Vidal st. On your right, you can see the mouth of the St Clair Tunnel that goes under the St Clair River to the USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Clair_Tunnel A bit of an engineering marvel for its time.
2. You might like to check out Canatara Park as they have an animal farm when you enter the park off of Christina St., just head straight through rather than taking the bend in the road that leads to the park and beach. When heading towards the beach area there is also Lake Chipican where many ducks, geese usually are.You might also like to view the Twin Bluewater Bridge which you can access off of Michigan Rd. I believe.Here you can watch the big ships come in or go near the old lighthouse which you can access off of Michigan & Alfred.In Pt.Edward there is the area where the Marina is.
3. There is a really great Animal Farm in Canatara Park. Goats, ponies, ducks, that kind of thing. And there are nice walking trails through Canatara around the pond. It's off of Christina St. "http://www.city.sarnia.on.ca/pdf/canatarabro.pdf"
5. Here are a few sites to check out for Sarnia and Lambton County.